Monday, August 22, 2005

Hey, kids, I'm going to Springsteen World!


For twenty-odd years, my friend Anne Turner and I have been following Bruce Springsteen anytime he tours here in the south. I first saw Bruce in concert on The River Tour in 1981. Anne saw him with about 50 other audience members in 74! The pic here is of the last time we saw him -- at the move on concert in Orlando last October...I was already on chemo and went to the doc's that day for a big bag of steroids so I could make it through the concert. Small world city alert: The nurse who dosed me up was also a Bruce lover -- the first time she saw hime was in PARIS! Needless to say, we immediately became BFF! My sweet sister Krista drove me through I-4 HELL and mostly tolerated my shotgun seat commentary, but drew the line at me taunting cars with W2004 stickers with my BRUCE NOT BUSH signs. I figure she was scared of roadrage--don't blame her, I guess. You know all those crazy shrub-worshipers were packing. I don't know if it was the drugs or the usual Bossmania, but I felt great and danced all night -- even though my hair was already falling out.

In September, Anne and I are heading to Jersey to join other like-minded BOSSanovers at the Bruce Springsteen Symposium.This first-of-its-kind conference will bring together educators, journalists, historians, musicologists, and anyone interested in scholarship regarding Bruce Springsteen and his influence on American culture. . .plus Anne and me.

Going to the Promised Land is on my list of things to do in my lifetime, which lately has taken on a greater sense of urgency. Do you have a list of things you want to do before you die? Why don't you share a few here?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It started in 1974. I lived in Bradenton and listened to the greatest radio staion, WQSR. There were a lot of DJ's from the northeast and they started playing this music. It wasn't like anything else and it took me places I had never been. The people in the songs and their stories became my friends and my stories. There was Crazy Davie and mission man and Sandy and Mary and Big Balls Billy. There were so many of them and even though they lived in New York and on the Jersey shore we shared the same longings and dreams. It wasn't long before this guy that sang all these colorful and romantic songs was booked to play at the Jai-alai Arena in Tampa. I don't remember a lot about that concert but I do remember this- the room was totally dark as he came out on stage and as the first notes of Thunder Road started a pin size beam of light hit his harmonica and my life has never been the same